Rory is another veteran member of Katy Express. As a team leader, he isn't very vocal. Instead, he leads by action, by example. He is consistently at practice, on time and engaged with his coaches. He does what the coaches ask of him without complaint - even when it is more than he expected!
Name: Rory Brown
School: Paetow High School, Katy, TX
1. When did you start running competitively? 7th Grade track at school
2. What’s the best thing about running? Not having to worry about anything else. When you're at school, you have to worry about classes. When you're at home you have to worry about homework and family and everything. But when you're running you only have to worry about that one thing.
3. What’s the worst thing about running? Losing- losing to other people, of course, but also losing to yourself by not meeting your goals
4. What’s your favorite pre-meet or pre-practice food? Meat and rice
5. How many times a week do you practice? Just about every day
6. What’s your favorite event? 5ks. Each one is different, on a different course. Track events, you just run around the same orange circle again and again. But each 5k is different.
7. What event do you wish you could do well in, but struggle with? 5K and the 800.
8. What brand of running shoes do you wear? Brooks and Nike
9. Running in the rain or running in the summer heat? In the rain.
10. Give new runners one quick piece of advice. Always make sure that you do some work on your own. Don't just go to practice.
This is a piece of advice that he truly follows. He has grown to realize that there's more to success than just working at practice; if you want to be successful, you have to be the agent of your own success. According to Coach Belton, "Rory has many talents. Watching him grow in to the man he will become is special. He fights with every single step." Join Rory and our other awesome athletes when the season begins on March 10th!