Name: Rowan Saacke
School: Tays Junior High, Katy, TX
1. When did you start running competitively? Age 6
2. What’s the best thing about running? Competing!
3. What’s the worst thing about running? Running in the summer sun - which happens a lot in Houston.
4. What’s your favorite pre-meet or pre-practice food? Pasta!
5. How many times a week do you practice? Four or five
6. What’s your favorite event? The 3000. I run the 1500 and the 3000, but I like the 3000 best.
7. What event do you wish you could do well in, but struggle with? The 800. It's weird because I do pretty well with the 1500 and 3000, but the 800, I sometimes have a hard time.
8. What brand of running shoes do you wear? Brooks
9. Running in the rain or running in the summer heat? I'd rather run in the heat, even though I don't like it.
10. Give new runners one quick piece of advice. Don't give up at practices because in the end, the work will be worth it!
If you recognize Rowan's last name, it might be because we recently relayed the news that her older brother Gavin just committed to the University of Alabama as a runner. But Rowan is so much more than Gavin's little sister. To start with, she has been running competitively since she was 6! But don't let that intimidate you, or your athlete. She's always willing to help out and encourage our newer members, especially the younger kids. Her dedication to the sport, and to her particular events, is obvious at every practice and every meet. She participates in both cross country and track with Katy Express, as well as playing volleyball for her school. When asked his thoughts about Rowan, Coach Belton said, "This little girl is amazing. She has talent...drive...focus...commitment. It's amazing. She is a perfect student athlete. She has all of the gifts." Keep an eye on this one, y'all. She's going to do amazing things.